Thursday, August 1, 2013

August Book Club Selection

Good Evening Lovelies and Happy August!

It's crazy how this year feels like it's just flying by!  Every time I turn around, I'm making a new Book Club Selection!  And I'm at it again...

Admittedly, I'm still working on last month's selection, but I hope to finish that in the next few days.  After such a long novel, I was looking for something slightly shorter.  A few months back, I took a look at my schedule and planned out about three month's worth of novels which gave me ample time to scout out old copies of a few of the older novels.  This month is the first in a while that I didn't know until the night of posting what this month's would be, so I wanted something contemporary as I do not have the time for any early edition searching.  I wanted to go back to the BBC list since all the other novels that are part of the L.A. Weekly Tournament looked like they would pale in comparison to L.A. Confidential if they were read back to back.  So, I'm going as far from Old Hollywood Noir as possible.  I'm going to The Alchemist.  

First edition cover.  Purchase your own copy here.

I know that this novel has been part of the Book Club circuit for a while now and we may be late to this party, but since neither Bridget nor I ever got around to reading it, I think it's a good choice!  Finally, we'll see what all the fuss is about.

"A magical little volume."  - San Francisco Chronicle
"[His] books have had a life-enchanting effect on millions of people." - London Times

If you've also never read this novel, perhaps this is a good time for you to join The Vintage Project Book Club!

Will you be joining us this time around?  We'd be thrilled to have you!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment