Monday, December 2, 2013

Advent, Advent, Ein Lichtlein Brennt

Guten Abend Kätzchen!

I hope everyone had a great weekend with family and friends.  Now that Thanksgiving is out of the way and we are officially in December, I once again find myself surrounded by some really fabulous traditions!  I am not remotely religious, but I absolutely LOVE the Christmas season and all the traditions that come along with this time of year.  These traditions may be rooted in religion, but to me, they represent the family, friends, and warmth that fill the season.

photo credit
As I was raised in a German Catholic immigrant household, we've always celebrated Advent.  While I personally am not sure about all the details of Advent, (here is a little light reading if you're interested) I've always loved sitting down on the four Sundays prior to Christmas with an Adventskranz (Advent wreath) and a festive drink (and, if I'm being honest, perhaps a Christmas cookie or two) to light one candle to mark each Advent Sunday.

About two years ago, I thought that I should start putting my own stamp onto the traditions I've always enjoyed.  While I'm not in anyway an arts and crafts, DIY kinda girl, I was determined to make my own Adventskranz or Advent wreath.  I have some pretty crafty friends and the four of us have had a few Crafty Bitch Parties (where I typically end up as someone's helper) and I thought that I would throw my own party, where instead of everyone bringing a craft as we'd done before, we all make our own Adventskranz.  Sounds super fun, right?  Right!

So, I had everyone over on the First Advent, which I turned into a Brunch (SHOCKING, I know!) and also brought in my mother and our resident Adventskranz expert, Oma to lend some authenticity and credibility to the event.


This photo may be a little blurry, but it's quite apparent that the spinach scramble and potatoes were a success.  And were quite necessary - it's a well known fact that you have to fuel the craftiness.

An equally well-known fact is the fact that mimosas are integral to the creativity process!

My lovely crafters - Britni (with her pine cones), Lisa, and Stephanie!

I stocked up on all the necessary items to build our wreaths.  

And then we got to it!

Britni and her fabulous bow!

 I must say, our Adventscranzes turned out so great!




And then we rewarded ourselves with coffee and the traditional German Christmas cookies that Oma and I made over Thanksgiving weekend!


 It's okay to be jealous, it was a fabulous day!

And now, I have my very own Adventskranz to enjoy every year!  Which made last night possible.  I made a cup of boozy tea in a Christmas mug and lit the first candle to mark the First Advent.  As I was lighting the candle, I couldn't help but think of the German poem about lighting the Advent candles.

"Advent, Advent, Ein Lichtlein brennt.
 Erst eins, dann zwei,
 Dann drei, dann vier,
 Dann steht das Christkind vor der Tür!"

Translation:
"Advent, Advent, a candle is burning.  First one, then two, then three, then four, and then the Christchild will be standing at your door."


Port and I hope all of you were able to celebrate the start of the holiday season in an equally fabulous way!

Happy Advent, Kittens!
XOXO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment