Tuesday, December 24, 2013

This Charming Dame Lesson 8 - Wrap Your Packages

Gift Giving.

Unless a truly terrible gift giver is involved, the act of giving and receiving gifts makes everyone happy.

While we participate in the act of gift giving all year round, there is no time like the Holidays to shine a light on this practice.  Obviously.  And beyond the gifts themselves and whether or not you have deep-seated beliefs or perhaps even some rage about the commercialization of Christmas and the Holidays, as we all get older, there is a certain joy in simply receiving a gift.  Sometimes what's in the box is irrelevant, someone took the time and effort to  get you something.  And if you're REALLY lucky, it's been wrapped up in pretty paper.

photo credit
I'm not quite sure the last time I used a gift bag, but it's safe to say, it's been a few years.  A while back, I decided that I wasn't going to take the easy way out anymore.  That I was actually going to WRAP my presents.  Gasp!  I know!  WHY make more work for myself??  Well, to me, there is something infinitely more special about a present that someone has taken the time to actually wrap as opposed to just stuffing it into a bag.  After wrapping a package and tying it up with some ribbon, it not only makes the recipient feel good to get it, but their reaction and the the fact that you are giving them the experience of untying the ribbon and actually unwrapping the package is like a little bonus.  The whole process adds to the whole experience and, selfishly, it makes me feel good to be able to do that.

photo credit
Don't misunderstand, whether they are on or under the tree (the different versions of I'll Be Home For Christmas don't always agree), truly any gift is appreciated.


Be it large or small, on the beach or in a living room, in a box or in a bag...

photo credit
Also a pile of wrapped boxes just look so much more polished than a pile of bags.  And can be easier to transport.

photo credit
photo credit




Here are just a few of the beautiful packages I've gifted this year.  How polished do these look??  I was quite proud of some of these!  (Alright, I might be tooting my own horn just a little...)




I just gave this one in our department gift exchange at work.  I thought that it turned out quite well, but was truly impressed with myself when everyone thought this had been professionally wrapped.  That wouldn't have happened with a bag...



And having some help is always nice.


When you take the time to actually wrap something, it's so nice to receive a wrapped gift yourself.  How cute is this owl wrapping paper on my Christmas gift from my friend Kim??























Your packages don't have to be overly elaborate with pine cones and pieces of shrubbery and handmade ornaments.  Some nice paper, carefully wrapped, with a ribbon is more than fine.  You're already not taking the easy way out, no need to go overboard!

When was the last time you wrapped a present?  Perhaps you'll consider doing that the next time you reach for a gift bag...

Happy Holidays and Happy Gifting!
XOXO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment