Thursday, November 28, 2013

What Am I Thankful For?

Happy Thanksgiving Lovelies!

photo credit

I know you are going to see lists of things that people are thankful for today, but I thought that I would compile my own as I've never actually put one onto paper before - not that this is 'on paper', but you get where I'm going with this.

I find myself taking a step back quite often to appreciate how lucky I am.  I may not be where I envisioned myself at this point in my life, and there are still plenty of things I want to do, see, and accomplish, but I acknowledge that I have a good life.  A very good life.

photo credit

What am I thankful for (aside from the fantastic vintage photos above), you may ask?  In no particular order, I am thankful for:

-The fact that I have my Oma in my life.  That she is happy, healthy, active, and self-sufficient and has more love to give (and gives it freely) than anyone I've ever known.
-My mother and my sister who I love unconditionally and who love me the same way in return.
-My warm, cuddly little Port.  While he can be incredibly needy and I have forgotten what it is like to own my own lap (the second I sit down, he makes it a point to commendeer it!), this little ball of fur is the most loyal, affectionate, trusting, smartest cookie I've ever come across.  He's also incredibly handsome.  No, I'm not biased.
-An incredible group of friends.  People who sometimes know me better than I know myself, who I know are there for me through anything, and people I love and support regardless of circumstance.
-The absolute best neighbors in the entire world.  Two people who will watch Port when I'm gone, who will spend an ENTIRE Sunday running to two Home Depots in an attempt to help me hang curtains, and who will bake cookies from scratch and pick up the absolute BEST macaroni and cheese when I am sick.

And a few other items.  Not as sentimental, but things that make life absolutely fantastic!
-The smell of freshly brewed coffee
-The smell of rain, the sound of a good downpour, and how deeply I sleep during a storm
-The smell of jasmine and gardenias on a warm summer evening
-The feel of fall in the air
-Being up to watch the sun rise (and then going to bed)
-Watching the sun set over the ocean
-The sound of popping the cork on a bottle of bubbly
-The first night of sleeping on clean sheets
-Warm towels on a cold winter morning
-Laughing so hard and so long that I am in physical pain
-People who say please and thank you
-People with elevator etiquette
-The open road on a solo road trip
-Sleeping in and spending an entire day in my pajamas
-Having a glass of wine and dancing around in my kitchen
-Finding a fabulous pair of heels
-Brunch

The first few are obvious and most people will list similar things in their top five, but what seemingly unimportant things are you thankful for?  Those are always the fun ones!  I've left many items off this list either because I didn't want a list 87 pages long, but also because I didn't give myself a lot of time to sit and really think about this list.  These were the items that first popped into my head.

Perhaps it's good that I know I've missed things since that means I have new material for the next list of things that I'm thankful for...

I hope you all take a few minutes to really think about the things you are thankful for today.  And that you do so more often than just one day a year.  As many things may not be going exactly as planned, there are far more things that we can all be thankful for than not.

Now to get back to making the dishes I'm bringing to my Mom's for Thanksgiving Dinner.  I wish you all a fantastic day with family, friends, good food, and good wine!!

XOXO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment