Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Book Club Selection

Happy May Lovelies!

How we're already in the month of May, I have no idea!  April simply FLEW by!!  Regardless of how exactly it happened, we're back at selection time for The Vintage Project Book Club.  Last month, was the first month that I selected from the BBC list instead of the L.A. Weekly list and I thought I would stick with the theme of re-reading the classics that we probably didn't appreciate as much as we should have in high school.

This is a British first edition. You can find later editions here.

My May selection might just be my favorite novel.  Alright, so as not to play favorites with my literary children, I'll say it's definitely in the Top 5 and leave it at that.  I read George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four as part of a summer reading list for my sophomore year English class.  I remember the experience of reading this novel - I was in Germany on vacation with Oma and with all our activities, I hadn't been reading to stay on schedule, so one day, with no activities planned, I sat down with this novel.  We were visiting my paternal grandmother and I remember sitting in her kitchen, the day running its course, and I could not put this book down.  I don't remember how long it took me to finish, but I know that I sat there that an entire day!  While I'm slightly fuzzy on some of the details, I remember the brilliance of this novel and how it affected me.  This novel is referenced constantly, isn't it time we gave it another read?

As I do not still have that particular novel, I ordered a new one - and while I was at it, I picked up a copy of Animal Farm as well, since I've never read that one.  May is shaping up to be a VERY busy, very Orwell-filled month!  You can see The Vintage Project Book Club listing in its entirety on Book Club page.  I've updated it for May.

Happy Reading Lovelies, I hope to see you at the May Book Club Meeting!!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment