Sunday, April 28, 2013

Witness to a Proposal

Hello there Lovelies!

I come to you slightly worse for the wear as I consumed more Bubbly yesterday than anything else.  It happens...

photo credit

I started with a Housewarming Brunch with some great friends (which accidentally lasted all day) and then hurried home so that I could jump into the shower and get ready for the 30th birthday party for Aaron, my friend Brianne's boyfriend.  I was tired and late and didn't have time to eat anything, so I was entertaining the idea of not going, but I knew it was going to be a great time and my friend Sakura, who I love dearly, had flown into town for the event.  Since this was a Black and White Ball, I got myself together, selected one of my many black and white dresses, and called a cab.

Aaron rented out Falcon on Sunset and I had heard that there were over 250 RSVPs, which is madness.  This was a fabulous spot for his birthday and performances from the band that he manages, Badflower and a friend of his who spun late into the evening.  If you know Aaron, it's no surprise that he wanted something big and over the top, that's just the way he is - and since 30 is a significant birthday that people want to be memorable, I didn't question him pulling out all the stops and having his entire family and all his friends there.  But when someone like Sakura who does not come home very often, flew in for the event, I SHOULD have questioned whether she knew something that the rest of us didn't.  Should have, but didn't.

Around midnight, Aaron took the stage and a few hundred people joined the band in singing him Happy Birthday.  True to form, he grabbed the mic and started a rather lengthy speech.  It was at this point that Sakura grabbed me and the other girls and started pulling us closer to the stage with tears in her eyes and started whispering "This is it!  This is it!"  And as Aaron spoke about how much Brianne, in the last eight years, had helped make him the man that he is today, it all came together and I KNEW what was coming.  The words sort of blur together now, but I do remember him saying that even Mother Teresa wouldn't have been able to put up with him for this long.

And then he pulled a small box out of his coat pocket and got down on one knee.  Brianne was completely shocked and everyone had tears in their eyes and I had goosebumps.  I don't think she meant to be funny or a little mean, but I think her delayed response to Aaron's question was due to the shock of it all.  He was right when he said that that night was the last night that she would have ever expected it to happen.  And then she said yes and everyone cheered and bottles of Bubbly were popped and it was fabulous!

It took quite a long time to be able to cut through all the people to actually congratulate them and get a good look at the ring.  It's perfect for Brianne, it was Aaron's mother's engagement ring that his father had made from stones from his grandmother's ring.  I probably butchered that story, but I do know that it's a family heirloom, completely unique, and completely perfect.


I had never witnessed a proposal  before last night and I was completely blown away by how much I was affected.  Usually a quiet, private moment, this was exactly how I had pictured that it would happen for them, though, to be honest, after eight years, I had started to think that they would just pull a Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell and never actually get married.  While Brianne is more low-key, judging from this party, the wedding will be one spectacular event!

I wish them all the happiness in the world and I could not be more thrilled for this fantastic couple!!

Have you ever witnessed a proposal?  I feel like most people only ever witness theirs, so it's pretty fabulous to be a part of that for someone else.  

Kisses!!

No comments:

Post a Comment