Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Meet Port

Hello again Kittens!

I'm back from a FABULOUS vacation and while I am sad that it is over, I'm incredibly happy to be back.  I feel that the two best parts of vacation are leaving and coming home.  

Usually, when I go on vacation, Port goes on vacation as well.  I take him to my mom's where there are always people around and he gets to frolic outside with his brother.  Pinot is my mother's cat and how they bond is really sweet!  While I constantly feel terrible that I leave him alone without any company during the week while I work long hours, I decided to leave Port at home for the first time while I was out of town.  Please don't misunderstand, I am NOT a bad kitty mom - I arranged for my friend and neighbor Bridget to come up and not only feed him, deal with the litter box, and water my plants (Thanks Bridget!!), but she also agreed to hang out with him.  This worked out PERFECTLY since that meant I did not have to drive the hour each way to drop him off at his grandma's house the night before I left and it also meant that I would not have an empty apartment for a week after I got back (both selfish reasons I know).  Perhaps he's more sensitive than most, or I've babied him too much, but each time I pick him up from my mom's after being out of town, he is VERY unhappy with me for having left him - it's quite possible he has separation anxiety.  And it literally breaks my heart.

I checked in with Bridget during my trip and when she told me that due to Port's love of back scratches and his propensity to shed, there was so much hair everywhere that it looked like he had exploded and that he was so cute and entertaining that she might have gone overboard with the treats, I knew I'd made the right decision to leave him at home under her care.  Port won Bridget over long ago and they now have a very special bond.  This does not surprise me, since he has won over everyone he has met.  Seriously.  He has softened staunch dog lovers as well as people who do not like animals in general.  He's magical!

Even Oma who is not an animal lover and has traumatized me with stories of growing up on a farm and having to drown kittens and puppies as they were being born, has fallen under the spell of this cat.  Where before she was pretty callous when speaking of animals - seeing them as belonging outdoors at all times to serve a specific purpose, she has made ONE exception.  And that exception is Port.  Each phone conversation with her includes her asking me, "And how is my baby?"  HER baby!  How adorable is that?

Oma and her baby.
So, where is this all coming from?  Well, A: Port's awesome and B: I missed him terribly while I was away.  I'm very glad to be back with his lap naps and constant purring.  And then it dawned on me...C: I haven't made formal introductions.  I apologize for my appalling lack of manners - I really am quite embarrassed.
  
Everyone, I'd like you to meet Port.

Quite the looker, I know.
While he is incredibly handsome, he's also incredibly intelligent and works his cuteness at every opportunity, hopping onto things he KNOWS he should not be on.  Like the dining room table for instance.


Or the kitchen counter.














But mainly he just hangs out being cute.

And dramatic.

The lights are SOOO bright!
I can't figure out which Port loves more - hoping into anyone's lap that will have him (which is seldom a problem),

Movie time is Port's favorite.  
Or a good sheet change.  He thinks both are pretty fucking fantastic!

But mainly Port loves cuddles and a comfy blanket.


























While spending entire days poolside, only having to worry about reapplication of sunscreen is fabulous, coming home to my little cuddle bug simply can't be beat.

Glad to be back, Kittens!  Hope you had a fantastic weekend and that you often find yourselves with a warm kitten or puppy to curl up with.  It truly is the best!

I will attempt to play some catch up while trying to work around a snoring kitten in my lap soon!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment