Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Vintage Project Manifesto

Hello Kittens.  Welcome to The Vintage Project.

Perhaps I should give you a little background as to how we've found ourselves here - the short version is that I have always felt like I was living in the wrong time. I've been described as an old soul over and over again and with my love (and if I'm being honest, my pseudo-obsession) of the Jazz Age and Old Hollywood, I do not find that too terribly difficult to believe.  Yes, I rely and appreciate the freedoms and technologies that we all take for granted living today; those that we did not have 10 years ago, much less 60 years ago. 

Like many, I admit I probably romanticize the past, influenced by what we've been shown in photographs and on the silver screen.  There was a time when all women seemed to be poised, confident, stylish, and charming.  When errands were not run in flip-flops and sweatpants (with or without ridiculous words printed on the ass).  There was the glam factor that was present whether a woman was dressed up or dressed down - heels were required and hats strongly encouraged.  There was entertaining at home as opposed to impersonal celebrations at bars, leisurely brunching instead of living life in crisis mode, and women owned their femininity instead of feeling like it was either a weakness or that it implied that you couldn't also kick some major ass.  So many things have happened and so many necessary changes have taken place that, for a myriad of reasons, we've lost so many of those qualities we associate with previous generations.

I'm guilty of going out in yoga pants and sleeping in high school theatre T-shirts riddled with holes.  I cannot entertain on the fly or be effortlessly stylish in any given situation.  And I most definitely do not wear hats nearly enough.  And in the upcoming year, that will change - and it will be chronicled.  My love of vintage, of glam, will be actively integrated into the life of a modern girl - one who could not imagine living without the modern conveniences afforded us by science or the progress afforded us by the feminist movement.

This is my manifesto.

This is my Vintage Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment